Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Saturday Jamboree Schedule

I am really looking forward to the Saturday morning breakfast presentation by Joe Mozingo "Traveling the Mozingo Family Path". A couple years ago I read in Dick Eastman's Newsletter about a Los Angeles Times writer, Joe Mozingo, who had written a series of articles in the paper about tracing his ancestry back to a black slave by the name of Spencer Mozingo.  I recalled having a Mozingo in my family line so checked and, sure enough, Mary Elizabeth Mozingo was my gggrandmother. In his article Joe mentioned a person who had created an on-line data base of the Mozingo family line.  I sent Joe an e-mail requesting the URL for the data base and when I checked, it confirmed that my Mary Elizabeth was also a descendant from Spencer Mozingo!  Joe subsequently wrote a book "The Fiddler on Pantico Run: An African Warrior, His White Descendants, A Search for Family".  I purchased the book and just completed it about a month ago.  Being a distant relative of Joe's, I am really looking forward to his presentation and introducing myself.  

Following the breakfast the following is what I plan to do:
8:30 to 9:30 a.m. SA009.  Thomas MacEntee, "Playing Nice in the Genealogy Sandbox: How to get  along with Others to Get what you Need."  I have heard so much about Thomas; but never attended one of his presentations.  

10:00 to 11:00 a.m.  SA013.  Rhonda R. McClure, "Was My Ancestor Naturalized?"  I think that naturalization papers are a source that I need to further explore in breaking down my two "brick walls".  Hoping to get some good tips from Rhonda. 

11:30 to 12:30 a.m. "Blogger Summit".  SA026.  Since I recently started Blogging, I thought this might be a good presentation to attend.  They have had this at previous Jamborees; but I never attended any because I wasn't a blogger.  

2:00 to 3:00 p.m. SA029.  Leland Meitzler, "Researching Your Germanic Ancestors Using Online Resources".  Have heard Leland several times and I need to learn more about Germanic research--too good a combination to pass up! 

3:30 to 4:30 p.m. SA039.  Michael Provard, "A Look at Family Search Family Tree".  I recently established a tree on the new Family Search and ran into a couple problems.  This should be helpful.  

5:00 to 6:00 p.m. SA053. James Ryan PhD, "Irish Rentals as a Family History Resource".  One of only a couple Irish Research presentations at Jamboree.  I need the help. 

7:00 to 9:00 p.m.. SA054. D. Joshua Taylor, Saturday Banquet "Games, Stories, and Adventures: The Future of Family History".  Josh is a great speaker--looking forward to it.

I also downloaded the Jamboree App for my Android smart phone.  Had to get help from Verizon technical support; but finally got it to work.  Looking forward to using it for the first time at Jamboree.  

If you are going to Jamboree, remember to take a sheet or two of the stick 'em mailing labels for the raffle drawing tickets.  Writing my name and phone number 20 to 40 times isn't my favorite pastime, so I try to remember to take the labels.  They always have lots of nice door prizes and the money goes for a good cause.  

No comments:

Post a Comment