Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Thinking back on the Battle of Gettysburg and all the Wars of our Ancestors



Fourth of July and 150th Anniversary of Battle of Gettysburg 

As we think about these two big anniversaries we are celebrating, I think it is a good time to remember those in our families who were in the Civil War or any of the many wars our country has endured.  In reviewing my own family I have members who fought in the The Revolutionary War, The Civil War, The War of 1812, WW I, WW II and I was in Vietnam.  I feel very fortunate in that, to my knowledge, none of my ancestors died in the war.




The above photo was taken Easter 1946 at the Palace Hotel (which my Grandfather owned) in Las Animas, Colorado.  The dinner was in honor of my father, three uncles and two close family friends who had all recently returned from serving in WW II, which ended in August 1945.  One uncle was in the Army Air Corps, another uncle was in the Sea Bees, my dad was in the Navy and the remaining uncle and his two friends were in the Marines; so we had all the services pretty well covered.  My father is closest on the left and I am to his left, then my mother and brother.  My grandfather and grandmother are in the rear at the end of the table.   
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Touring the Gettysburg Battlefield National Park

I have had the privilege of going to the Gettysburg Battlefield National Park about three times and have a piece of advice of anyone who may be planning on going in the future.  There are tour buses that you can take that are narrated and cover the battleground areas; however, for a very reasonable fee, you can hire a park ranger volunteer to drive your car and take you on a personal tour.  These are locals who are really knowledgeable and the tour is fantastic and includes stops at the more strategic locations.  I believe the charge was $45 last time we went; but that has been about 10 years ago, so the price has probably gone up.  If you are ever in that area, don't pass up this opportunity!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Special Discounted MyHeritage Subscription for GeneaBlogger Readers

Thomas MacEntee, of GeneaBloggers, announced a teaming with MyHeritage and a special rate for MyHeritage subscriptions.  I too am a fan of the new tools that MyHeritage recently introduced and wrote about them in my May 22 and June 20 blogs.  Following is an excerpt from Thomas's announcement:


GeneaBloggers readers can get full access to all of MyHeritage's tools for only $119.39 if purchased before July 13, 2013. That’s a savings of more than $119!

This exclusive, limited time offer will expire on Saturday, July 13. Don't miss your chance
to get this low price on this wonderful resource!

Click here to join MyHeritage today for only $119.39! 


Sincerely,

Thomas MacEntee
Founder, GeneaBloggers.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




No comments:

Post a Comment