Friday, May 31, 2013

Choice of Browsers Does Make a Difference

I have been using computers since the early 1980s and PCs all but two of those years.  As long as I can remember I have been using Internet Explorer (IE) as my browser.  I was comfortable with it and, since Microsoft also made the operating system, I figured it would be more compatible.  Over the past few months, however, I have run into a couple different computer problems.  When I either consulted with tech support, or went on-line with chat rooms or just googled for a solution, one of the answers was often "try another browser."  Having resisted this for years and beating my head against the wall trying to make IE work, I finally decided to give this option a try.  

I did a little reading up about the various browsers and decided Chrome was probably as good a choice as any.  I googled to find a Chrome download and proceeded to give it a try.  My mindset led me to believe this was a major decision, because once I switched it was all chrome or nothing!  Once I had downloaded Chrome,  I tackled the first problem I was having with ID--When using WorldCat, I couldn't search a find the libraries who carried the item of interest, such as a book (I hadn't had this problem prior to Windows 8). The little blue "search wheel" would just spin forever and never list the libraries that carried my book of interest.  When I used Chrome it immediately identified and listed the libraries.  A great WorldCat feature if you haven't used it before.  



Of interest, when I entered the title of the book I published in August 2011 into the WorldCat search, Alibris in Emeryville, California came up as the closest location.  Alibris isn't a library, it is a company that acts like a broker to provide books to libraries.  Since I donated a copy of the book to the Carlsbad  Dove Library, it should have been the closest; but they must not provide listings on WorldCat.  It is hard to believe that Alibris had a copy of my book. Since my book can be obtained "on demand" from my publisher, I am guessing that if Alibris gets an order, they in turn order it from the publisher.  Other than my immediate family, a few other close relatives and Libraries to whom I donated the book, Alibris must be one of the few people in the world that is marketing my book!  Good for them.  

 My second problem pertained to creating this blog.  Whenever I tried to insert photos or graphics into the blog using IE, I had all sorts of problems.  Since Google provides my Google Blogger app for the blog, it makes sense that Google Chrome would be more compatible.  This proved to be the case.  Now I create the blog in chrome and often conduct other searches on IE at the same time.

Because I am much more familiar with IE, I still use it for 95% of my work on the internet.  However, I have been pleasantly surprised how easy it is to switch browsers; or, as just noted,  even use them both almost simultaneously.  



No comments:

Post a Comment